Anyone remember the ipbfree tragedy?

• ATTENTION GUEST! If you'd like to join the website and get access to everything a webmaster needs then click HERE! Buy & sell content on the marketplace, get your website promoted for being active, high end articles, and more!
  • If you're having issues registering send us an email at: contact[at]seoraffle.com
Yesterday's Top Poster

Demon_skeith

Well-Known
Jun 2, 2021
gaminglatest.com
WebCoin
ⓦ498
Curious if anyone here recalls the horrible IPBfree tragedy? Been 11 years since it happened, when a very popular self-hosted IPB service suddenly shut down overnight, thousands of forums and sites lost all their data with no way to recover it.

No one is sure for the reason, something from the FBI? Some kind of divorce related issue? No one really knows.

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,239
Curious if anyone here recalls the horrible IPBfree tragedy? Been 11 years since it happened, when a very popular self-hosted IPB service suddenly shut down overnight, thousands of forums and sites lost all their data with no way to recover it.

No one is sure for the reason, something from the FBI? Some kind of divorce related issue? No one really knows.
I never heard of it to be honest. There was only 2 free sites I've ever used. Forumotion and IceForums or something like that.

Abizaga

Starting Out
Aug 12, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ78

Aye. I used to love InvisionFree. It's sad they decided to sell to a shit company like Tapatalk.

apathy

Simi-Active
Aug 2, 2021
fortreeforums.xyz
WebCoin
ⓦ225
I had not heard of this either, but I didnt really pay much attention to the other free softwares available - just stuck with SMF.
Personally, I don't like the idea of depending on a free host because things like this can happen, even if its incredibly unlikely. I do wonder what was the cause.