How I had to rename my site again due to the letter S

• ATTENTION GUEST! If you'd like to join the website and get access to everything a webmaster needs then click HERE! Buy & sell content on the marketplace, get your website promoted for being active, high end articles, and more!
  • If you're having issues registering send us an email at: contact[at]seoraffle.com
Yesterday's Top Poster

Demon_skeith

Active
Jun 2, 2021
gaminglatest.com
WebCoin
ⓦ257
Got a fun little tale for everyone that happened some years ago, after taking over and running my current day site that was known as Gamingforce, I decided to rebrand it to something to make it my own.

I choose Edge Gamer.

After getting all new images, rebranding things, renaming stuff, buying the domains, ect. I relaunched the new name and all was well. Until Edge Gamers took notice and started making a fuss about my name way too simliar to theirs and yes they were a general gaming site like my own.

After a lot of fuss and legal lawsuit threatening from them (they could afford lawyers but not buy all the main EG domains? lol.) I rebranded my site again! Took a lot more care to make sure it had no close name compeitors.

Yeah, long story short, always becarful when rebranding things when it comes to your site.

Steven

Simi-Active
Feb 12, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ122
Yeah, I was in a similar situation. RedBull did this spin-off mountain biking online series that had maybe 2 episodes years back. It was called IntoTheDirt. however, it was not a trademark and they did not use the name anymore. So I went ahead and used it. I purchased the Domain name then trademark the name for clothing. It's currently idle right now but still, live. I have never had any issues with RedBull as of yet. I really hope they don't say anything.

Hopefully, you found a name you love! I sometimes start something then want to change the name in a year or so :/

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,004
So, they do not have any Xenforo information at the bottom of their site so they have enough to spend on pointless removal of XF's branding. However, they do not have any copyrights posted on the website, on top of that it isn't taking their name as they'd only be able to trademark Edge Gamers and not Edge Gamer, unless they did, which if they did why wouldn't they have the domain for it. Similarly, if they do not have a company/LLC with that name that's registered and trademarked then they couldn't do anything legally anyway as it doesn't effect any internet laws. If they did, then they would have some grounds of action, however it still wouldn't hold up more than likely. It's why every state has a golden china. They're not the same company, but they have the same name and is more than likely registered in their state. The only issue with this is if they actually have the money then they could simply keep appealing until you do not have the money to afford winning and essentially "lose by default" which a lot of larger companies are known for doing.

I'm no lawyer though, but from what I've gathered from a lot of research this is what I've found out personally.

Demon_skeith

Active
Jun 2, 2021
gaminglatest.com
WebCoin
ⓦ257
So, they do not have any Xenforo information at the bottom of their site so they have enough to spend on pointless removal of XF's branding. However, they do not have any copyrights posted on the website, on top of that it isn't taking their name as they'd only be able to trademark Edge Gamers and not Edge Gamer, unless they did, which if they did why wouldn't they have the domain for it. Similarly, if they do not have a company/LLC with that name that's registered and trademarked then they couldn't do anything legally anyway as it doesn't effect any internet laws. If they did, then they would have some grounds of action, however it still wouldn't hold up more than likely. It's why every state has a golden china. They're not the same company, but they have the same name and is more than likely registered in their state. The only issue with this is if they actually have the money then they could simply keep appealing until you do not have the money to afford winning and essentially "lose by default" which a lot of larger companies are known for doing.

I'm no lawyer though, but from what I've gathered from a lot of research this is what I've found out personally.

I'm pretty sure they had no leg to stand or actually go after me legally, but I was just starting another semester of college and didn't have have the time to give fighting them which they were a bigger community to boot (some of their members came on to spam).

Though I still have the domain names and planning a come back for them one day.

• Love
Reactions: Xyphien

sincerem

Simi-Active
Jul 5, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ58
But your domain and hosting company supposed to have shown you that the domain have been used so you don't get into the fuss which you encountered with the similar website sharing same domain name.