Have you ever had a site or project explode with activity?

• ATTENTION GUEST! If you'd like to join the website and get access to everything a webmaster needs then click HERE! Buy & sell content on the marketplace, get your website promoted for being active, high end articles, and more!
  • If you're having issues registering send us an email at: contact[at]seoraffle.com
Yesterday's Top Poster

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,523
I've had 2 thus far blow up, and I'm wondering what others do/did when their stuff randomly blows up with activity. My one site gained several thousand members in the first week of opening and topped off at just under 40k before I finally ended the site. Now, I'm working on a Play by Post RPG game that I'm developing from the ground up... Which means I'm actively working on it. For the first few weeks we had 6 members and essentially they were helping me mold the game to where it needs to be. One random day we gained 6 members, doubling the game in size, and after just a week we're now at 50 active members posting and interacting. I'm now understaffed, with hours and hours of work I have to do every day and I'm struggling to keep up! On top of that, it's hard finding people who want to help run something of this scale because of it.

Reactions: sincerem

Abizaga

Starting Out
Aug 12, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ97
I've had 2 thus far blow up, and I'm wondering what others do/did when their stuff randomly blows up with activity. My one site gained several thousand members in the first week of opening and topped off at just under 40k before I finally ended the site. Now, I'm working on a Play by Post RPG game that I'm developing from the ground up... Which means I'm actively working on it. For the first few weeks we had 6 members and essentially they were helping me mold the game to where it needs to be. One random day we gained 6 members, doubling the game in size, and after just a week we're now at 50 active members posting and interacting. I'm now understaffed, with hours and hours of work I have to do every day and I'm struggling to keep up! On top of that, it's hard finding people who want to help run something of this scale because of it.
I actually had 2 go that way too. My vBulletin forum from 2007, and my current one.

Abizaga

Starting Out
Aug 12, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ97
How did you handle the sudden increase in members personally?
Well the first time I capitalized on it with lots of contests run by my mods and mself.
Second time, I tried doing the same, had no ideas for contests and juat stuck to the articles lol

Last edited:

sincerem

Active
Jul 5, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ223
@Xyphien you need assistance in the website to help take away some workload from you. I know it is very demanding for you to take care of all that alone and still feel alright. It will be whole lot of draining for you when you keep it going for long.

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,523
@Xyphien you need assistance in the website to help take away some workload from you. I know it is very demanding for you to take care of all that alone and still feel alright. It will be whole lot of draining for you when you keep it going for long.
Yeah, I have since then got help. We now have about 10 staff members helping out with it, as well as working on developing a custom bot for it which will help automate a lot of things!

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,523
What kind of custom bot? I know they can be tricky to make.
It's for a program similar to Discord and it essentially turns it into a self ran D&D server. However, the developer bailed and ghosted me after I publicly announced it...

Steven

Simi-Active
Feb 12, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ270
The only time I have had a project/business explode is when i provided a service of some kind... but never an online business.

Lammchen

Fresh
Feb 24, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ40
I've had some threads on a forum become very dramatic and that's when people log in to watch all the fun take place. Except it gets ugly and there's only so much that lurkers want to see. But drama brings the people around.

• Love
Reactions: Xyphien

Xyphien

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Feb 3, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ1,523
I've had some threads on a forum become very dramatic and that's when people log in to watch all the fun take place. Except it gets ugly and there's only so much that lurkers want to see. But drama brings the people around.
You have to be careful with drama though, drama can destroy a site just as quick as it can increase activity. My largest forum I've ever owned died for a while due to a huge drama filled incident. Took months to get it back to where it was and even then it wasn't the same.

Lammchen

Fresh
Feb 24, 2021
WebCoin
ⓦ40
You have to be careful with drama though, drama can destroy a site just as quick as it can increase activity. My largest forum I've ever owned died for a while due to a huge drama filled incident. Took months to get it back to where it was and even then it wasn't the same.

You're right. A little bit of drama can be fine but letting it go for too long is endangering the community.

Demon_skeith

Well-Known
Jun 2, 2021
gaminglatest.com
WebCoin
ⓦ2,733

I agree, I've seen some bad drama that shut sites down and made those never want to be around someone else again.